Saturday, March 7, 2009

Where Did My Grammar Go...?

It's terrible. There are so many free projects on the web today that have a ton of potential. In truth, there are probably more good games being built than I care to count, and many of them are being designed by young, smart companies (or in some cases, just a few people). The systems and websites look good, the advertisers are in place, the mechanics, graphics and technical issues have all been ironed out; what's keeping these games from really taking off?

In my opinion, it's a lack of writing skill. The grammar and usage issues I see in many of these titles is positively horrid. It's far more important than many people think - especially in any (good) MMORPG, where the development of both a character and a larger story can be narrative driven.

I've said it in the past - I'm a role-player and a story nut, and so maybe this perception of mine is skew. However, as a consumer, I feel that a little proofreading goes a long way in maintaining my enjoyment of a title. I don't think any native English speaker wants to rescue the proverbial princess, only to have her give her thanks in a broken, mis-spelled wall of vomitext (that's a technical term, you know).

I don't really have specific title in mind, but there are some games that could have gripped me for just a little longer had the writing been good - or even adequate - when I played them. Sure, some of it in lost in translation - RF Online had terrible text-wrap and proofreading errors well after its translation from Korean - but that should just make the issue more clear to developers. If you want to grip a target audience, WRITE for them. Make them feel like they're reading a good book, and maybe they'll keep reading after the shine of your innovative combat system has worn down a little.

The funny thing is, while so many games are carbon-copies of other (often better) games, few try to differentiate themselves with a powerful story. Again, as a consumer: hook me with words, and I'll stick around longer.

2 comments:

Jack said...

Kudos man, kudos. :)

Big Penguin said...

Good point. A good analogy is the writer of novels. They put months, if not years, into a 300-page product, then some spend maybe five minutes on a query letter or cover letter, and an agent or editor can't help but notice the sloppiness. So they reject it and move on.

The best products--novels or video games or whatever-are done thoughtfully and well from start to finish. That kind of care and attention pays off.